The Nikon D7500 is a DX-format DSLR offering a versatile feature-set to appeal to photographers and videographers alike. Based on a 20.9MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this multimedia maven avails an 8 fps continuous shooting rate for up to 100 consecutive JPEGS, a native sensitivity range to ISO 51,200 that can be expanded up to ISO 1,640,000, and 4K UHD video and time-lapse recording capabilities.
Complementing the imaging capabilities is a 51-point Multi-CAM 3500FX II autofocus system, which features 15 cross-type points for fast performance and accurate subject tracking capabilities in a variety of lighting conditions.
Balancing the performance attributes, the D7500 is also characterized by its sleek profile and monocoque construction that is comfortable and easy to handle. This physical design is also fully weather-sealed to permit working in harsh environmental conditions.
In addition to the pentaprism optical viewfinder, a rear 3.2" 922k-dot touchscreen is also featured and has a tilting design to benefit working from high and low shooting angles. Additionally, SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi permit wireless transferring of photos and movies and remote control over the camera from linked mobile devices.
20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5 Image Processor
The DX-format 20.9MP CMOS sensor is paired with the EXPEED 5 image processor to provide an esteemed mixture of high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. At native values, a sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions and can be further expanded to ISO 50-1640000 (Lo 1 to Hi 5) to handle the most challenging of situations.
The mixture of resolution and sensor size also contributes to clean image quality and smooth colour transitions with reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range.
In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 5 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 8 fps with full-time autofocus and exposure metering. Up to 100 JPEGs or 50 14-bit lossless compressed NEF files can be recorded in a single burst.
4K UHD Video Recording
Capable of recording more than just stills, the D7500 supports 4K UHD video recording at 30, 25, and 24 fps frame rates and Full HD/HD recording at up to 60 fps, along with the ability to save movie files to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file, with 4:2:2 sampling, to an optional external recorder via HDMI out. For maintained quality and versatility in how your movies look, three image area options are available:
- 4K UHD movie image format is an area that provides a 1.5x increase in the effective focal length of the lens in use and is reserved for 4K 3840 x 2160 recording.
- 1.3x-based movie image area provides a 1.3x crop of the DX sensor and is used for recording Full HD and HD video.
- DX-based movie image format utilizes the full width of the DX-format sensor and is used to record Full HD 1920 x 1080 and HD 1280 x 720 video. This setting is well-suited for shallow depth of field effects and provides the widest field of view.
51-Point Multi-CAM 3500FX II Autofocus System
Supporting the imaging capabilities of the D7500 is an apt autofocus system that employs up to 51 distinct points, with options available to use 9, 21, or all 51 points depending on the situation, with AF detection sensitivity down to -3 EV. 15 cross-type points are also integrated within this array to provide even greater accuracy to centrally-located subjects. Benefitting the use of telephoto lenses and teleconverters, the centre-most point is also sensitive down to an aperture value of f/8.
3D Tracking, a part of the intelligent Scene Recognition System, also works to benefit maintained focusing on moving subjects for greater accuracy when shooting at high continuous shooting speeds. Furthermore, Single-point AF, Dynamic-area AF (with 9, 21, or 51 points selectable), 3D-tracking (using all 51 points), and Auto-area AF modes are also available, as well as Group-Area AF that treats smaller groups of AF points as a single point for a wider field of recognition, and is well-suited to tracking faces or other detailed subjects.
- A large 3.2" 922k-dot touchscreen is available for intuitive live view shooting and playback control, and it features a tilting design to benefit working from high and low shooting angles.
- A bright pentaprism optical viewfinder offers 100% frame coverage and a 0.94x magnification for clear, realistic viewing in any lighting condition.
- The monocoque-type carbon-fibre construction is lightweight, durable, and incorporates a deep right-hand grip for comfortable and stable handling, making it especially suitable for all-day shooting with longer zooms or telephoto lenses.
- Weather-sealed design benefits working in trying environmental conditions.
- Shutter unit has been tested for up to 150,000 cycles for long-lasting use and an integrated shutter monitor automatically calculates the duration between the front and rear curtain movements with each exposure to automatically correct for any variances.
- A built-in pop-up flash is available for additional illumination when working in low-light conditions. A hot shoe can also be used in conjunction with an optional external Speedlight, and, if used with the optional WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller, the camera can control up to three groups of SB-5000 Speedlights via radio.
- The included EN-EL15a rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 950 shots per charge.
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens, a wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens provides a 27-210mm equivalent focal length range. One aspherical element and one extra-low dispersion element are integrated into the optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations while helping to improve overall image sharpness and clarity.
Vibration Reduction image stabilization is also incorporated into the design to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps to better suit working with longer focal lengths and in low-lighting conditions. Additionally, a Silent Wave Motor ensures quiet, smooth, and precise autofocus performance that is well-suited for working with fast-moving subjects and for video applications.
- Body Type Mid-size SLR
- Camera Model Nikon D7500
- Sensor size APS-C (23.5 x 15.7 mm)
- Actual Pixels 21 megapixels
- Max Resolution 5568 x 3712
- Processor Expeed 5
- Image ratio w:h 3:2
- Sensor type CMOS
- Image stabilization Digital only
- Uncompressed format RAW
- ISO Range ISO 100 - 51200 (expandable to 50 - 1640000)
- White balance presets 12
- JPEG quality levels Fine, Normal, Basic
- Number of focus points 51
- Manual focus Yes
- Autofocus Contrast Detect (sensor) Phase Detect Multi-area Selective single-point Tracking Single Continuous Face Detection Live View
- Lens mount Nikon F
- Touch screen Yes
- Screen type TFT LCD
- Viewfinder magnification 0.94×
- Screen dots 922,000
- LCD Tilting
- Screen size 3.2″
- Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
- Viewfinder coverage 100%
- Maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec
- Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
- Metering modes Multi Center-weighted Highlight-weighted Spot
- External flash Yes (Hot-shoe, Wireless plus sync connector)
- Aperture priority Yes
- Built-in flash Yes (Pop-up)
- Shutter priority Yes
- Manual exposure mode Yes
- Continuous Shooting 8.0 fps
- Self-timer Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 sec)
- Resolutions 3840 x 2160p at 23.98, 25, 29.97 fps ,1920 x 1080p at 23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps
- ,1280 x 720p at 50, 59.94 fps
- Speaker Mono
- Microphone Stereo
- Format MPEG-4, H.264
- Storage types SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Microphone/Headphone port Yes
- Wireless Built-In
- HDMI Yes (mini-HDMI)
- Remote control Yes (Wired, wireless, smartphone)
- USB USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
- Battery Battery Pack
- Battery description EN-EL15a lithium-ion rechargeable battery & charger
- Battery Life (CIPA) 950
- Dimensions 136 x 104 x 73 mm (5.35 x 4.09 x 2.87″)
- Weight 720 g (1.59 lb / 25.40 oz), (inc. batteries)
- Environmentally sealed Yes
- Focal Length 18 - 140mm
- Comparable 35mm Equivalent on DX Format Focal Length: 27 - 210 mm
- Maximum Aperture f/3.5 - 5.6
- Minimum Aperture f/22 - 38
- Angle of View 76° - 11° 30'
- Minimum Focus Distance 1.48' (45 cm)
- Camera Mount Type Nikon F
- Format Compatibility Nikon DX
- FX in DX Crop Mode
- Magnification 0.23x
- Autofocus Yes
- Image Stabilization Yes
- Elements/Groups 17/12
- Diaphragm Blades 7, Rounded
- Filter Thread Front:67 mm
- Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.07 x 3.82" (78 x 97 mm)
- Weight 490g / 1.08 lb